Essential Oil Skin Care for Normal Skin
Essential oil skin care for normal skin can use a variety of essential oils. Four especially beneficial ones that help maintain skin balance are geranium, lavender, rose, and neroli. Other good choices include frankincense, german chamomile, jasmine, palmarosa, rosewood, and ylang ylang.
Suggestions for dry skin care, oily skin care, and sensitive skin care.
What is normal skin?
Normal skin has a smooth, soft,
fine texture. There's no obvious large pores, blemishes, blackheads,
flaking, oiliness, or broken veins. Protect this skin with light, gentle
moisturizers, cleansers, and toners.
Here are some DIY aromatherapy products to get you started.
Lavender Facial Cleanser
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon cosmetic clay
- 1 tablespoon powdered oats
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
- Blend ingredients in a small glass bowl.
- Massage mixture evenly and gently onto your face and neck.
- Rinse well.
- Use a toner and then a moisturizer.
Source: Making Aromatherapy Creams and Lotions
Soap-Free Face Wash
- 2 tablespoons argan oil
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel
- 1 drop neroli essential oil
- 1 drop frankincense essential oil
Make the blend in a 2-ounce glass bottle. Add the argan oil and aloe vera first and then the essential oils. Close bottle and shake gently. Use a small amount to wash you face, shaking gently before each use.
Source: Heart of Aromatherapy
Normal Skin Care Aromatherapy Toner
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 1 drop clary sage essential oil
- 1 drop roman or german chamomile essential oil
- 4 drops lemon essential oil
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
Add all ingredients to a glass or PET plastic spray bottle and shake.
To use: Shake vigorously before each use. Mist skin, avoiding your eyes.
Normal Skin Moisturizers
Normal skin usually only needs a light moisturizer. If you have a favorite unscented moisturizer, add a few drops of essential oil to the bottle. Or you can use olive oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or most other carrier oils with a few drops of added essential oil.
Restorative Moisturizing Lotion
- 1/4 cup organic unscented lotion
- 10 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 5 drops neroli essential oil
Blend ingredients in a small glass jar and use as needed.
- 1/3 cup sweet almond or grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon wheat germ oil or vitamin E oil
- 30 drops evening primrose oil
- 30 drops jojoba oil
- 10 drops palmarosa or sandalwood essential oil
- 5 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 5 drops rosewood essential oil
- 5 drops geranium essential oil
- 5 drops ylang ylang, neroli, or frankincense essential oil
In a 4-ounce glass bottle, combine all the oils. Shake to blend. Store in a cool, dark place for up to one year. Use as desired, shaking well before each use.
Source: The Complete Aromatherapy & Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness
Simple Moisturizing Oil
- 5 tablespoons carrier oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops geranium essential oil
- 4 drops ylang ylang essential oil
Source: Feeding Your Skin
Facial Masks for Essential Oil Skin Care
Here are two facial masks for normal skin.
Reviving Face Mask
- 1 tablespoon iced water
- 2 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 2 drops petitgrain essential oil
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- Crushed almonds
- Mix water and essential oils with enough crushed almonds to make a paste.
- Apply the mixture to your face.
- Let dry, and then rinse off.
- 2 tablespoons mashed papaya
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 drop carrot seed essential oil
- 1 tablespoon powdered peppermint leaf or lavender flowers
- Mix the ingredients, using enough peppermint leaf or lavender flowers to make a firm paste.
- Apply to your face.
- Leave on 10 to 15 minutes, and then rinse off.
Source: Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Photo Credit: Volff/123RF Stock Photo