How To Use Essential Oils For Cellulite Reduction
Using essential oils for cellulite may help improve the appearance of the dimpled skin. The dimpling is the result of fat cells under the skin that have enlarged and are pushing up against the skin, while connective cords attaching the skin to the muscle underneath pull down.
While aromatherapy for cellulite can help, a healthy diet and regular exercise are also an important part of any cellulite-reduction efforts. This article gives you massage oil blends, a cellulite scrub, cellulite baths, and a cellulite body butter.
Cellulite Aromatherapy Massage Oils
Massage the following blends containing essential oils for cellulite
directly into affected areas. Spot test a blend before applying it to
large areas to make sure you don't have a reaction to it. Allow at least
30 days to see results.
- 2 drops fennel essential oil
- 2 drops juniper essential oil
- 5 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 5 drops geranium essential oil
- 5 drops cypress essential oil
- 5 drops bergamot essential oil
- 4 tablespoons carrier oil
Use once a day. (Be aware this essential oil blend doesn't have a pleasant scent.)
Source: Aromatherapy for Dummies
- 40 drops eucalyptus citriodora essential oil
- 40 drops lemon essential oil
- 40 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 40 drops sage essential oil
- 40 drops cypress essential oil
- 40 drops niaouli essential oil
- 7 tablespoons hazelnut oil
Use two or three times a day for 30 days.
Source: Advanced Aromatherapy: The Science of Essential Oil Therapy
- 4 drops pine essential oil
- 4 drops juniper essential oil
- 4 drops fennel essential oil
- 4 drops lime essential oil
- 4 drops thyme essential oil
- 4 teaspoons carrier oil
Use one to three times a day.
Source: 500 Formulas For Aromatherapy
- 3 drops helichrysum essential oil
- 3 drops patchouli essential oil
- 4 drops cypress essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 1/4 teaspoon carrier oil
Massage 3 to 6 drops of the mixture vigorously on areas of cellulite at least three times a day.
Source: Essential Oils Desk Reference
Learn more about massage for cellulite.
Another way to use essential oils for cellulite is to make a scrub. To use the following scrub, massage a little of it into clean skin using circular motions, focusing on areas of cellulite. Also, massage your legs for at least five minutes using strong, flowing strokes that start at your feet and move upwards to your hips. Rinse off the scrub using warm water.
- 1 cup freshly ground coffee
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond oil
- A few drops essential oil of choice
- Clean, dark jar with tight-fitting lid
- Mix the coffee, sugar, and salt together.
- Pour in the almond oil and stir until well mixed.
- Spoon the scrub into the jar.
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place. This scrub will keep for about 4 weeks.
Adapted from EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bombs
Cellulite Reduction Baths
- 3 drops juniper essential oil
- 3 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop black pepper essential oil
- 1/4 cup Epsom salt
- 1/4 cup sea salt
Combine ingredients and add to warm bath.
Source: Massage & Aromatherapy: Simple Techniques to Use at Home
- 3 drops lemon essential oil
- 3 drops cypress essential oil
- 3 drops orange essential oil
- 5 drops juniper essential oil
- 2 tablespoons Epsom salt
- Mix the essential oils into the salt. Add the mixture to warm bath water.
- Repeat 2 to 4 times a week. For even more benefit, massage the areas of cellulite after the bath.
Source: Essential Oils Desk Reference
Another option is to add 4 to 5 drops of any of these essential oils to a bath: cypress, geranium, juniper, and mandarin.
Cinnamon Body Butter With Essential Oils For Cellulite
Note: Both 50 grams and 50 ml equals about 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon.
Some people may be sensitive to cinnamon. Spot test!
- 50 grams cocoa butter
- 50 grams shea butter
- 100 grams coconut oil
- 50 ml witch hazel
- 1 tablespoon vitamin E oil
- 30 drops of cinnamon essential oil
- 1 whole cinnamon stick, crushed
- In a double boiler, melt the cocoa butter and shea butter on low to medium heat.
- Slowly stir in the coconut oil for about a minute.
- Remove from heat and then let the mixture cool for 10 to 20 minutes but don’t let it harden.
- Add the witch hazel, vitamin E, and cinnamon oil.
- Whip the mixture until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Sprinkle the crushed cinnamon stick into the mixture.
- Place mixture into an airtight container.
Use the body butter generously, applying it up to three times a day. Allow at least a month to start seeing results.
Adapted from Natural and Healthy Living
Photo Credit: tata_aka_T from Tokyo, JAPAN (Gazing) [CC-BY-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons