DIY Facial With Essential Oils
If you want to do a facial with essential oils at home, this article offers one simple approach. The blends sometimes leave the choice of essential oils to you. You can use a balancing oil that's good for all skin types, such as rose, neroli, lavender, or geranium, or see specific suggestions for dry skin, normal skin, or oily skin.
Cleanse Your Face
If you don't have sensitive skin, start your aromatherapy facial with an exfoliating cleanser such as this one:
- 12 drops geranium essential oil
- 1 cup finely ground oatmeal
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons sweet almond oil
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- Dark glass jar with cap
- Place oatmeal and almonds in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, blend the oils and honey.
- Add the oil/honey mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until well blended.
- Transfer mixture to a sterilized dark jar. Cap tightly and store in a cool, dark place.
To use: Take a teaspoon of the mixture and moisten it with a little rose water (distilled water works too). Rub the mixture gently over your face, and then rinse off with warm water.
Note: If your skin is sensitive, use a cleanser for sensitive skin care.
Steam Facial With Essential Oils
Skip the steam if you have sensitive skin. Otherwise, use this facial steam:
- Add 5 drops of essential oil to a bowl of steaming water.
- Cover your head with a towel or cloth, creating a tent.
- Keep your eyes closed as you place your head over the steamy bowl, being careful not to get close enough to burn yourself.
- Steam for 3 to 5 minutes or as is comfortable.
- Gently pat your face dry.
Apply a Green Clay Aromatherapy Facial Mask
Estheticians use green clay to tighten pores, remove dead skin cells, and create a smoother complexion. Green clay has absorbent properties that tone and firm the skin while pulling out impurities.
How To Make the Mask
1. Make the mask base by blending the following ingredients:
2. Beat one egg white. Mix in the mask base and enough aromatherapy hydrosol (or distilled water) to make a paste with a consistency that works for a mask.
3. Add the oils indicated below for your skin type. Mix well and apply the mask to your face.
- Normal Skin: 1 drop geranium essential oil, 1 drop neroli essential oil
- Dry Skin: 1 teaspoon evening primrose oil or wheat germ oil, 1 drop roman or german chamomile essential oil, 2 drops carrot seed essential oil
- Oily Skin: 1 drop lavender essential oil, 1 drop frankincense or juniper berry essential oil
- Problem Skin: 1 drop lavender essential oil, 1 drop tea tree oil, 1 drop neroli essential oil
- Rejuvenating Mask: 1 teaspoon jojoba oil, 1 drop roman or german chamomile essential oil, 1 drop frankincense essential oil, 1 drop myrrh essential oil
How to use the facial mask: First, clean and dry your skin. Apply the mask and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Wash off the mask with lukewarm water and then pat your skin dry. Apply moisturizer.
Moisturize Your Face
Finish your facial with essential oils by using a moisturizer. For a simple face oil, blend 10 to 15 drops essential oil with 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) jojoba oil.
Or make this aromatherapy skin care cream:
- 4 tablespoons carrier oil (jojoba, almond, olive, etc.)
- 1/4 ounce beeswax
- 2 tablespoons flower water or distilled water
- 4 to 6 drops essential oil appropriate for your skin
- Place the carrier oil and beeswax into the top of a double boiler.
- Add water to the bottom of the double boiler and bring the the water to a boil.
- Place the oil/beeswax over the boiling water and stir the mixture until it melts.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- Slowly stir the water into the mixture, continuing to stir as the mixture cools.
- Stir in the essential oil, and keep stirring until the mixture is thick.
- Transfer the mixture to a sterilized dark jar. Use as needed.
Photo Credit: Andreypopov/123RF Stock Photo