How to Make Body Powder Using Essential Oils
By learning how to make body powder you can avoid the synthetic ingredients, some of which may have toxic effects, in commercial products. Even small amounts of these ingredients can cause toxic chemicals to accumulate in your body over time, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
One ingredient of concern is talc, used in body powders and other
personal care products. Some studies have suggested a possible link
between talc and ovarian cancer, although the FDA
doesn't consider the evidence conclusive. However, if you want to be on
the safe side, make your own aromatherapy body powder.
By making your own bodycare products, you can choose quality ingredients and know exactly what's in the product you're using.
DIY Aromatherapy Body Powder
Here's a basic recipe from 500 Formulas For Aromatherapy:
- Place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a wide-mouth glass jar.
- Add the essential oils of your choice (see suggestions below).
- Put the cap on the jar and shake.
- Let sit for a day.
- Shake well before using.
Suggested essential oil blends for homemade aromatherapy body powder:
- Citrus: 12 drops mandarin, 12 drops lemon, 6 drops patchouli
- Floral: 10 drops geranium, 10 drops bergamot. 10 drops ylang ylang
- Forest: 10 drops cypress, 10 drops eucalyptus, 10 drops sandalwood
- Minty: 15 drops peppermint, 10 drops caraway, 5 drops lavender
- Spicy: 10 drops caraway, 10 drops clove, 10 drops rosemary
How to Make Body Powder for Moisturizing
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond oil
- 1/2 teaspoon essential oil(s) of your choice
all the ingredients together until well mixed. (You can also place the
ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag, close the bag, and blend
the mixture with a little massage.)
- Pour the powder into a clean container (one with a shaker top works great).
- Sprinkle on your skin as needed.
Adapted from EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bomb
Lavender Body Powder
- 1 cup white clay
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup finely powdered rose petals
- 1/2 cup finely powdered lavender buds
- 2 teaspoons lavender essential oil
- Place all ingredients except essential oil in a large bowl or food processor.
- Stir slowly with a whisk or whirl in food processor for 15 seconds until well blended.
- Measure out about 6 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Use a mortar and pestle to blend the lavender essential oil into the 6 tablespoons of powder.
the oily mixture back into the other powder mixture and whisk slowly,
or if using a food processor, whirl for 15 seconds. Alternately, you can
put the powder in a large container with a tight-fitting lid and shake
- Store the powder in a airtight container in a cool, dark place for three days to let the scent permeate the powder.
- Use as desired, within one year.
Source: Organic Body Care Recipes
Photo Credit: norgal / 123RF Stock Photo