Astrology and Essential Oils
One unique use of essential oils is in combination with astrology. Here's a brief summary from Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit:
Sun: Source of light and life. Linked to the heart and circulatory system. Essential oils: rosemary, bay laurel, and frankincense.
Moon: Reflects yin energy. Linked to digestion and nourishment, pancreas, and mammary glands. Essential oils: jasmine, coriander, and clary sage.
Mercury: Related to the nervous system, thyroid gland, and speech and hearing. Essential oils: fennel and caraway.
Venus: Pertains to the skin, parathyroid gland, and female reproductive system. Essential oils: rose, geranium, lemon, and benzoin.
Mars: Reflected in blood, muscles, adrenal glands, and male reproductive system. Essential oils: ginger, juniper, and other pungent essential oils.
Jupiter: Represents bodily growth, liver, and anterior pituitary gland. Essential oils: Hyssop and orange.
Saturn: Governs bones, posterior pituitary gland, and aging process. Essential oil: cedarwood.
Aromatherapy and Sun Signs
The book Astrological Aromatherapy
by Patricia Davis identifies a signature oil for each sun sign. The
signature oil reflects some aspect of the character of the sun sign.
Davis recommends keeping the signature oil in mind when creating an
aromatherapy blend for a specific purpose. Here are the signature oils
Davis identifies for each sun sign:
- Aries – Rosemary
- Taurus – Rose
- Gemini – Basil
- Cancer – Blue (German) chamomile
- Leo – Jasmine
- Virgo – Lavender
- Libra – Geranium
- Scorpio – Patchouli
- Sagittarius – Black pepper
- Capricorn – Vetivert
- Aquarius – Neroli
- Pisces – Melissa
Davis also suggests bath, massage, and perfume blends for each sun sign. For example:
- Relaxing bath blend for Gemini: 4 drops lavender, 1 drop each melissa and vetivert
- Simulating massage blend for Aries: 12 drops pine, 5 drops rosemary, and 1 drop black pepper in 2 tablespoons carrier oil
- Perfume blend for a Taurus
woman: 60 drops rose, 18 drops sandalwood, 18 drops helichrysum, 3
drops ginger, and 1 drop patchouli mixed with 4.5 teaspoons
perfume-grade alcohol for a full-strength perfume or 3 tablespoons
perfume-grade alcohol for an eau de parfum
Planetary Apothecary by Stephanie Gailing offers some different suggestions:
- Aries – Ginger to counter overexertion, vetivert for calming, and black pepper for warming and energizing
- Taurus – Vanilla for grounding and relaxing, palmarosa in skin care products, and thyme to promote courage
- Gemini – Rosemary to calm nerves, lavender for relaxing, eucalyptus for respiratory health and to relieve muscle aches and pains
- Cancer – Jasmine to promote nurturing instincts, hyssop decumbens to cleanse the air or promote digestion, clary sage for clarity and to relieve menstrual cramps and menopausal symptoms
- Leo – Neroli for calming, lemon to uplift, and German chamomile to relieve red, dry, irritated skin
- Virgo – Melissa to relieve worry that keeps you awake at night, cardamon for upliftment and to promote sensuality, carrot seed for skin care
- Libra – Rose otto for opening the heart and skin care, geranium for balance, and peppermint to relieve mental fatigue and improve concentration
- Scorpio – Ylang ylang to enhance your love life, basil to help integrate your conscious and subconscious minds, and helichrysum for emotional healing
- Sagittarius – Juniper to relieve muscle cramps and uncomfortable feeling from eating or drinking too much, grapefruit for relieving muscle tension, joint pain, and water retention, and nutmeg to uplift and expand your mind
- Capricorn – Cypress for fortitude and to relieve sore joints, frankincense for skin care, and Scotch pine to uplift
- Aquarius – Patchouli to enhance sensual pleasure, majoram to calm the nervous system, and benzoin to relieve muscle spasms
- Pisces – Sandalwood to energize the pineal gland and relieve nervous tension, myrrh for skin care and meditation, and tea tree to inspire feelings of optimism
Astrology and Essential Oils
For more about astrology and essential oils, see this series of articles covering each astrological sign by aromatherapist Suzanne Bovenizer.
Photo Credit: JimmyMac210 CC2