How To Use Essential Oils For Wrinkles
and Mature Skin
You can use essential oils for wrinkles and mature skin to help maintain your skin's elasticity and appearance as you age.
Fine lines and wrinkles occur as skin loses its natural firmness and elasticity and
becomes thinner and drier. The skin care blends in this article may help slow, maybe even reverse, that process. Experiment and find what works best for you. Skin test all blends on a small area to make sure you aren't sensitive to the essential oils or the carrier oils.
Let's start with an aromatherapy skin care recipe to help prevent fine wrinkles:
- Place the jojoba, apricot kernel, rosehip oil, and rose essential oil in a small, clean bowl.
- Puncture the capsules and squeeze the oils into the bowl.
- Stir the oils well.
- Pour the blend into a small, dark glass bottle.
To use the blend, place a few drops between your fingers. Gently pat the oil around your lip line and throat and under your eyes.
Source: Massage & Aromatherapy: Simple Techniques to Use at Home
Which Essential Oils For Wrinkles?
Using aromatherapy for mature skin and to help get rid of wrinkles can be as simple as combining an essential oil with a carrier oil and applying the blend to your face. You can experiment with various essential oils to find ones that work best for you. Commonly recommended essential oils for wrinkles include:
- Carrot seed (highly recommended for mature skin)
- Clary sage
- Cistus (also called rock rose)
- Frankincense (highly recommended)
- Lavender (highly recommended)
- Rosemary verbenone
While you can use any carrier oil you like, carriers especially good for mature skin include:
Homemade Under Eye Wrinkle Cream
Caution: When applying an essential oil blend around your eyes, make sure not to get it directly in your eyes. If you do, flush your eyes with carrier oil — NOT water.
Use this anti-wrinkle eye cream twice a day.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (preferably organic)
- 2 teaspoons Vitamin E oil
- 10 drops essential oil of choice
Stir the Vitamin E oil and essential oils into softened or melted coconut oil in a glass container. Let set and then cover with lid.
Homemade Wrinkle Cream Recipes
Here are two cream recipes containing essential oils for wrinkles. Apply the cream morning and night after washing your face.
Natural Anti-Wrinkle Cream Recipe
- 1/4 cup shea butter or cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 5 to 7 drops lavender essential oil
- 8 to 10 drops frankincense essential oil
- Place shea or cocoa butter and coconut oil in a double boiler and melt, stirring to blend.
- Remove mixture from heat and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the essential oils.
- Let the mixture set until it just starts to solidify (you can put it in the freezer for up to 20 minutes to speed the process). If it becomes too solid to whip, let soften at room temperature before whipping.
- Use a mixer to whip the mixture until you have a butter-like consistency (a few minutes). Store in a four-ounce glass container.
Adapted from Organic RN.
Homemade Anti-Wrinkle Face Cream
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1/8 cup beeswax
- Essential oils for wrinkles of choice
- Place all ingredients except essential oils in a heat-proof glass container (a Pyrex measuring cup works great).
- Place the cup in a pan with an inch of water on low heat.
- Stir ingredients occasionally until fully melted.
- Remove the mixture from heat. Pour mixture into a small glass container.
- Stir in essential oils.
- Let the mixture sit at room temperature until the cream hardens.
- Place the lid on the container, and store in a cool place. Makes about 1/2 cup (lasts about three months).
Adapted from Organic Authority
Other Homemade Wrinkle Treatments
Here's a moisturizing wrinkle-reducing blend:
- 8 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 drops cistus essential oil
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil
- 1 teaspoon wheat germ oil
Blend all ingredients in a small, dark bottle. Apply to face as needed.
Source: Healing With Aromatherapy
That book also offers a Seaweed Mask for Wrinkled Skin:
- Combine the first four ingredients.
- Add enough water or hydrosol to make a creamy paste.
- Apply to skin and leave on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash off mask with warm water, and pat skin dry.
Wrinkle-Reducing Aromatherapy Blend
This blend of essential oils for wrinkles may help reduce their appearance:
- 5 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 4 drops geranium essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops frankincense essential oil
- 18 drops high-quality vegetable carrier oil
Blend ingredients in a dark bottle. Apply to wrinkles as needed.
Source: Essential Oils Desk Reference
Wrinkle Smoothing Blend
Blend the ingredients in a small glass container:
- 2 tablespoons unscented lotion
- 2 drops geranium essential oil
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops rose essential oil
- 2 drops myrrh essential oil
Source: Essential Oils For Healing
Mature Skin Renewal Lotion
A lotion to soothe the look of mature skin:
- 4 tablespoons unscented lotion
- 10 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 8 drops frankincense essential oil
- 3 drops neroli essential oil
Blend ingredients in a two-ounce glass jar. Gently rub lotion on your face and neck morning and night.
Source: Aromatic Wisdom
Essential Oil Toner For Mature Skin
A toner for mature skin:
- 800 IU vitamin E oil
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) orange blossom water
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) aloe vera juice
- 1 teaspoon calendula-infused vinegar
- 5 drops helichrysum essential oil
Blend the ingredients in a dark bottle. Shake well before use.
Source: Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Buy Essential Oils
I recommend Young Living essential oils.
Photo Credit: 123RF Stock Photo