How To Use Essential Oils for Hair Care
Commercial hair care products contain hundreds of chemicals, some known to be hazardous, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). By using essential oils for hair care and making your own hair care products, you can avoid these toxic chemicals.
Although some companies now make products claimed to be natural or organic, the EPA points out that the word 'natural' doesn't mean the product is natural or safe. In Techniques to Achieve Naturally Healthy Hair, the EPA lists the following safe, natural ingredients:
- Aloe vera
- Avocado oil
- Olive oil
- Shea butter
- Sunflower oil
- Witch hazel
- Essential oils
Healthy hair starts with what you put in your body. It's important to eat a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables, fruits, good-quality proteins, and omega-3 fats and to drink enough water.
Best Essential Oils For Hair
The best essential oils for your hair depend on the type of hair you have and its condition.
For general hair care, The Complete Aromatherapy and Essential Oils Handbook for Everyday Wellness suggests these essential oils:
- Carrot seed
- Roman chamomile
- Clary sage
- Ylang ylang
One of the easiest things you can do is add 8 to 10 drops of an essential oil to an 8-ounce bottle of shampoo. Make sure it's a nondetergent, unscented, preferably organic shampoo. Shake gently before each use.
Or make your own shampoo:
- 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
- 1/2 cup distilled or filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon light olive oil or sunflower oil (leave out if you have oily hair)
- 16 to 20 drops essential oil(s) of your choice
- Very gently (to avoid creating foam) stir the ingredients together.
- Pour mixture into a clean squeeze bottle and use as you would normally use shampoo.
Note: This shampoo is thin and doesn't lather.
The rest of this article gives you aromatherapy recipes for normal hair care. Also see:
Essential Oils for Dry Hair
Essential Oils for Oily Hair
Essential Oils for Dandruff
Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Normal Hair Aromatherapy Shampoo & Rinse
For the following shampoo recipe, add oils to the bottle of shampoo. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- 8-ounce bottle of shampoo
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops rosemary or lemon essential oil
Herbal Hair Rinse
- 3 drops essential oil of your choice
- 1 pint herbal tea
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- Mix ingredients. Shake well.
- After shampooing, shake well and pour over scalp and hair.
- Leave the rinse on for several minutes, and then wash it off.
- Store leftover rinse in refrigerator and use within three days.
Source: Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Essential Oils For Normal Hair Treatment
Use the following hair treatment by rubbing one teaspoon of the mixture into your hair and scalp. Leave the treatment on your hair for several hours. You can also leave it on overnight by wrapping your head in a towel before you go to bed.
- 8 drops thyme essential oil
- 6 drops sage essential oil
- 6 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons jojoba oil
Source: 500 Formulas For Aromatherapy
Intensive Hair Treatment
Blend the following oils:
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) jojoba oil
- Massage the blend into your hair and scalp:
- Wrap your hair in plastic, and then wrap the plastic with a towel.
- Leave this treatment in your hair for 20 to 30 minutes, and then shampoo.
Source: Healing With Aromatherapy
Simple Hair Treatment
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 drop lavender essential oil
- 1 drop West Indian bay (Pimental racemosa) essential oil
Leave the treatment on your hair for 10 to 20 minutes, and then shampoo.
Source: EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bombs
Buy Essential Oils
I recommend Young Living essential oils.
Photo Credit: Flickr User Luciano Consolini
Essential Oil Recipes
Essential Oils For Hair