How To Use Essential Oils For Dry Hair Cae
Some of the best essential oils for dry hair care, according to Aromatherapy For Dummies, are:
- Carrot seed
- Thyme (linalol type)
Also consider using geranium, rosemary, and lavender essential oils.
Dry Hair Shampoo Blends
For a simple aromatherapy shampoo, Healing With Aromatherapy suggests adding the following to an 8-ounce bottle of unscented nondetergent shampoo:
- 8 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
- 5 drops neroli essential oil
- 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed oil
You can also experiment with this dry hair aromatherapy shampoo by using any of the listed essential oils to see which ones work best for you. Use 8 to 15 drops of essential oil(s) in an an 8-ounce bottle of shampoo.
Stimulating Shampoo Blend
- 1 teaspoon sweet almond oil
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops geranium essential oil
- 3 drops frankencense essential oil
Mix the ingredients together. Add the blend to 3.5 ounces (100 ml) of natural, unscented shampoo. (For an 8-ounce bottle of shampoo, double this blend.)
Source: The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy
Dry Hair Rescue Mask
For dry, damaged hair, use this rescue mask:
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 3 to 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- Place the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Shampoo your hair.
- Massage the mask into your scalp and hair.
- Place a shower cap on your head or use a towel to wrap your head.
- Relax for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the mask using warm water.
Source: EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bombs
Dry Hair Treatments With Essential Oils
For a dry hair treatment, massage 1 teaspoon of the following blend into your hair and scalp and leave it on for at least several hours. To leave the blend on overnight, wrap your head in a towel before going to bed.
- 10 drops ginger essential oil
- 10 drops rosewood essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Source: 500 Formulas For Aromatherapy
Another hair treatment option is to spend two to three minutes massaging the following blend into your hair and scalp. Let the treatment stay on for 60 to 90 minutes, and then wash your hair:
- 6 drops cedarwood essential oil
- 2 drops sandalwood or geranium essential oil
- 2 drops patchouli essential oil
- 1 teaspoon carrier oil
Source: Essential Oils Desk Reference
I recommend Young Living essential oils.
Photo Credit: Morguefile
Essential Oil Recipes
› Essential Oils For Dry Hair