Aromatherapy Bodycare: Body Powder Recipes
Why make and use your own aromatherapy bodycare products? Many commercial body care products are filled with synthetic ingredients, some of which have toxic effects. Even small amounts of toxic ingredients in hair and body products can cause toxic chemicals to accumulate in your body over time, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
By making aromatherapy products for your body, you can choose quality ingredients and know exactly what's in the product you're using.
Aromatherapy Body Powder
One ingredient of concern is talc, used in body powders and other personal care products. Some studies have suggested a possible link between talc and ovarian cancer, although the FDA doesn't consider the evidence conclusive. However, if you want to be on the safe side, make your own cornstarch aromatherapy body powder.
Here's a basic recipe from 500 Formulas For Aromatherapy:
- Place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a wide-mouth glass jar.
- Add the essential oils of your choice (see suggestions below).
- Put the cap on the jar and shake.
- Let sit for a day.
- Shake well before using.
Suggested essential oil blends for aromatherapy bodycare powder:
- Citrus: 12 drops mandarin, 12 drops lemon, 6 drops patchouli (remember, citrus oils increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun)
- Floral: 10 drops geranium, 10 drops bergamot. 10 drops ylang ylang
- Forest: 10 drops cypress, 10 drops eucalyptus, 10 drops sandalwood
- Minty: 15 drops peppermint, 10 drops caraway, 5 drops lavender
- Spicy: 10 drops caraway, 10 drops clove, 10 drops rosemary
Moisturizing Body Powder Recipe
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon almond oil
- 1/2 teaspoon essential oil(s) of your choice
all the ingredients together until well mixed. (You can also place the
ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag, close the bag, and blend
the mixture with a little massage.)
- Pour the powder into a clean container (one with a shaker top works great).
- Sprinkle on your skin as needed.
Adapted from EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bomb
Lavender Aromatherapy Bodycare Powder
- 1 cup white clay
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup finely powdered rose petals
- 1/2 cup finely powdered lavender buds
- 2 teaspoons lavender essential oil
- Place all ingredients except essential oil in a large bowl or food processor.
- Stir slowly with a whisk or whirl in food processor for 15 seconds until well blended.
- Measure out about 6 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Use a mortar and pestle to blend the lavender essential oil into the 6 tablespoons of powder.
the oily mixture back into the other powder mixture and whisk slowly,
or if using a food processor, whirl for 15 seconds. Alternately, you can
put the powder in a large container with a tight-fitting lid and shake
- Store the powder in a airtight container in a cool, dark place for three days to let the scent permeate the powder.
- Use as desired, within one year.
Source: Organic Body Care Recipes
For more body care recipes, see:
Homemade Body Scrubs
Making a Natural Deodorant
Body Butter Recipes
Photo Credit: norgal / 123RF Stock Photo