How to Remove Mold Using Essential Oils
Mold comes in many forms, some of it toxic. This article addresses how to remove mold and mildew of the everyday, not toxic, variety.
This blend will often work:
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tea tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- Add all ingredients to a spray bottle.
- Place the spray cap on the bottle.
- Shake well, and spray on mold.
- Let the blend remain on the surface, not rinsing. The smell is strong at first, but it goes away.
Let's look at other options on how to remove mold that's more stubborn.
Caution: Wear gloves, safety glasses, and a mask when cleaning up
mold to avoid both eye irritation from accidental splashback and to
avoid absorbing mold spores into your body.
Mold Removal Borax Blend
Here's a recipe with borax, which adds some scrubbing power:
- 1/2 cup borax
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 30 drops tea tree essential oil
- A plastic container with a lid
- Combine all the ingredients in the container until they have the consistency of a paste.
- Apply a little of the mixture to the mold.
- Scrub off the mixture.
- Rinse the area with water.
Tip: For a more powerful effect, after you apply the mold-removal mixture, spray the area with hydrogen peroxide before scrubbing. Another option is to let the mixture remain on the mold for about an hour before scrubbing
Stronger Mold Removal Blends
For stronger but still safe mole removal:
- 20 drops clove essential oil
- 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops tea tree essential oil
- 28 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 40 drops lemon essential oil
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
Mix in spray bottle, and shake well before using.
Another essential oil blend for mold:
- 2 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 5 drops patchouli essential oil
- 2 teaspoons tea tree essential oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
you have a mold or mildew buildup, spray the surface and leave the
blend on it for a few hours. Wipe surface with a soft cloth. Spray the
surface again and let dry without rinsing.
Click here for a book on how to remove mold that's toxic.
Also see cleaning with essential oils.
I recommend Young Living essential oils.
Photo Credit: Infrogmation/Wikimedia GNU
Essential Oil Uses