Cleaning With Essential Oils
If you don't want potentially toxic cleaning products in your house, cleaning with essential oils is an option.
Follow these guidelines when making aromatherapy cleaning products:
- When blending essential oils with water for later use, use distilled or filtered water because the chlorine in tap water causes the oils to deteriorate.
- Spot test delicate surfaces to make sure the essential oils don't damage them.
- Label your bottles and keep them out of reach of children and pets.
All-Purpose Cleaning Sprays
A simple, all-purpose cleaning spray is to blend 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1 cup water, and 10 to 20 drops of essential oil in a spray bottle. Use one (or more) of the following oils:
- Tea tree
For a stronger clean, use this blend:
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 teaspoon borax
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops thyme essential oil
- 15 drops tea tree essential oil
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon of castile soap (optional)
- Mix borax into vinegar in a large spray bottle. Shake.
- Add the essential oils. Shake again and let sit overnight.
- Shake well, and then add the warm water.
- Optional: If you want more lather, also add one teaspoon of castile soap.
- Label the bottle.
- Shake well before each use.
Surface Cleaning With Essential Oils
An easy way to clean and sanitize surfaces is to combine 2 to 3 drops of tea tree, eucalyptus, or lemon essential oil with 1/2 cup hot water.
Another surface cleaner:
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 drops tea tree essential oil
- 1 drop lemon essential oil
- 1 drop eucalyptus essential oil
Combine all ingredients with just a little water to make a paste. Apply to surface with a cloth using circular motions, and then rinse with hot water and a clean cloth.
Essential Oils For Cleaning Floors
The simple option to clean floors is to add 5 to 10 drops pine essential oil and 1/2 cup vinegar to a gallon of hot water. You could also use lemon oil or a combination of rosemary and balsam fir.
Another floor cleaner (from Vscentials):
- 4 cups vinegar
- 2 gallons hot water
- 2 tablespoons liquid castile soap
- 20 drops eucalyptus or pine essential oil or 10 drops of each
More Aromatherapy Cleaning Products
- 1 cup natural dish soap
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 5 to 10 drops essential oil (lavender, lemon, or one of your choice)
Put ingredients into a squeeze bottle. Shake well. Use as needed.
Mix 10 to 15 drops of lemon essential oil, 2 cups white vinegar, and 2 cups water in a spray bottle.
Mix one of the following essential oil blends with 1/2 cup baking soda in a wide-mouth jar that has a cap:
- 60 drops lavender
- 20 drops cinnamon
- 20 drops orange
- 60 drops rosemary
- 30 drops spruce
- 10 drops orange
- 40 drops anise
- 40 drops clove
- 20 drops patchouli
- Place the cap tightly on the jar. Shake well.
- Let the mixture sit for 24 hours.
- Sprinkle on carpet. Leave for 10 to 15 minutes, and then vacuum.
Source: 500 Formulas For Aromatherapy
Also, see essential oils recipes for the home and essential oil air fresheners.
I recommend Young Living essential oils.
Photo Credit: Morguefile
Essential Oil Uses
Cleaning With Essential Oils