DIY Essential Oil Air Freshener
Make your own essential oil air freshener and avoid the low-quality and fake scents of most commercial air fresheners.
Creating an aromatherapy room fragrance spray can be as simple as mixing your favorite essential oil(s) and water in a spray bottle. In general, use 30 to 50 drops of essential oil, depending on the strength of the oil and how strong you want the spray, for each 1/2 cup of water.
Water and essential oils separate, so you must shake the spray vigorously before using. Or you can add a solubilizer, such as Polysorbate 80 or Solubol, to the spray to help disperse the oils.
Follow these guidelines:
- Use distilled or purified water because the chlorine in tap water can cause essential oils to deteriorate over time.
- Avoid spraying the blends directly on delicate surfaces or on surfaces where children or pets might ingest the oils.
- Label your spray bottles and keep them out of reach of children and pets.
- Shake sprays before using.
Aromatherapy Room Sprays
These sprays use air cleaning essential oils. Blend oils in 1/2 cup distilled water.
- 30 drops bergamot
- 25 drops lemon
- 5 drops peppermint
- 30 drops lemon
- 20 drops thyme
- 10 drops eucalyptus
- 12 drops eucalyptus
- 4 drops peppermint
- 8 drops pine
- 4 drops tea tree or rosemary
- 8 drops bergamot
Sources: Pure Scents for Well Being and Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Here are more ways to make a clean air essential oil blend in 1/2 cup distilled water.
- 50 drops orange
- 35 drops lemon
- 20 drops grapefruit
- 15 drops cedarwood
- 50 drops orange
- 25 drops rose
- 20 drops clove
- 15 drops cinnamon
- 10 drops jasmine
- 50 drops spruce
- 25 drops lavender
- 25 drops eucalyptus
- 20 drops cedarwood
- 75 drops peppermint
- 35 drops eucalyptus
- 10 drops clove
- 35 drops caraway
- 20 drops anise
- 20 drops cinnamon
- 20 drops ginger
- 15 drops clove
- 10 drops lime
Source: 500 Formulas For Aromatherapy (This book also has more blends in each category.)
Essential Oils for Air Freshener Blends
Use 5 to 7 drops essential oil in 1 cup distilled water to make the following:
- Country spice: cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, bay
- Spring morning: lavender, rose, geranium, rosemary, sweet orange.
- Earthy: sage, thyme, cedarwood, patchouli, frankincense.
- Romance: vanilla, sandalwood, ylang-ylang, jasmine, neroli, rose.
- Energizing: basil, lavender, orange, nutmeg, peppermint.
- Calming: Geranium, clary sage, Roman chamomile, yarrow.
Source: The Naturally Clean Home
Stock Essential Oil Air Freshener Blend
To a 5-ml dropper bottle, add the following essential oils:
- 40 drops lemongrass
- 20 drops lemon
- 20 drops peppermint
- 10 drops cypress
- 10 drops cinnamon leaf
- 1 to 5 drops black spruce
Shake vigorously. Let synergize for eight hours. Diffuse a few drops or make a room spray.
Source: The Best Natural Cures Using Essential Oils
Other Essential Oil Air Freshener Suggestions
As an alternative to an essential oil room spray, you can freshen the
air by diffusing a few drops of your favorite essential oil using an essential oil diffuser.
Air Cleaning Essential Oils for Smoke-Filled Rooms
- Tea tree
Essential Oils to Disinfect Air
- Tea tree
Source: Complete Aromatherapy Handbook: Essential Oils for Radiant Health
Another alternative is to saturate cotton balls with an essential oil and place the balls in the corners of a room, in cupboards, in drawers, or in out-of-the-way places. Or add a fresh scent to your home by using essential oils for cleaning.
Photo Credit: MorgueFile