Essential Oils For Psoriasis Relief
Using essential oils for psoriasis relief is a natural remedy that may help you manage the scales and red patches of this persistent skin condition.
Caution: Always spot test any essential oil or aromatherapy blend before using it on a large area. A few people may react badly to specific oils, especially if they are poor quality oils.
Carrier Oils For Psoriasis
You must dilute essential oils for psoriasis in a carrier oil. Spot test each carrier oil you plan to use before adding essential oils. While it's OK to use any carrier oil, the following ones may especially help relieve psoriasis, according to the Rae Dunphy Aromatics Carrier Oil Guide:
- Argan oil
- Avocado oil
- Calophyllum inophyllum oil (also known as foraha or tamanu)
- Castor oil
- Evening primrose oil
- Hemp seed oil
- Jojoba oil
Other carrier oils recommended by other sources include:
- Coconut oil is gentle and moisturizing and may help relieve inflammation.
- Rosehip seed oil and neem oil both nourish the skin.
- Camellia oil is "of fundamental importance for people who are suffering from eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis... It protects the skin in extreme weather conditions, such as cold and wind, both of which will strip away the skin’s lipid barrier," according to Elizabeth Ashley in the Spring 2017 issue of the NAHA Aromatherapy E-Journal.
Essential Oils For Psoriasis
Two commonly recommended essential oils for psoriasis are Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) and tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia). Blend either with a carrier oil and apply to your skin. If you have never used essential oils, start with a 1% dilution (one drop essential oil in one teaspoon carrier oil). You can later make stronger blends if you desire and can tolerate them.
Other suggested essential oils include:
- Aromatherapist KG Stiles recommends lavender, lemon, bergamot, oregano, and sandalwood.
- Aromatherapist Cheryl Murphy recommends angelica root in an article, "The Apiaceae Plant Family," in the Spring 2017 issue of the NAHA Aromatherapy E-Journal.
- Dr. Axe suggests tea tree, lavender, frankincense, myrrh, and geranium essential oils. He specifically recommends blending three drops of lavender and three drops of frankincense in one teaspoon of coconut oil.
Although scientific research on using essential oils for psoriasis is scarce, here are two studies:
- Pazyar, N. and R. Yaghoobi (2012). "Tea Tree Oil as a Novel Antipsoriasis Weapon." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22473218.
- Moy, R. L., and C. Levenson (2017). “Sandalwood Album Oil as a Botanical Therapeutic in Dermatology.” The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5749697.
Psoriasis Home Remedies With Essential Oils
Here are a variety of blends you can try for psoriasis natural treatment.
Psoriasis Relief Blend
The Essential Oils Desk Reference recommends the following aromatherapy blend for psoriasis relief:
- 2 drops lavender essential oil
- 2 drops tea tree essential oil
- 2 drops patchouli essential oil
- 2 drops Roman chamomile essential oil
Blend the essential oils with at least 8 drops of carrier oil (more if you tend to be sensitive or have never used these essential oils.) Spot test before applying the blend to a large area.
This recommendation is from aromatherapist Elizabeth Ashley from the article "Hemp Seed Oil: Cannabis sativa" in the Summer 2017 issue of the NAHA Aromatherapy E-Journal.
- 1/2 cup unscented white lotion
- 1 teaspoon hemp seed (Cannabis sativa) oil
- 1 teaspoon evening primrose oil
- 1 teaspoon borage oil
- 1 drop cajuput (Melaleuca cajuputi or Melaleuca leucadendron var. cajuputi) essential oil
- 1 drop spikenard (Nardostachys grandi ora) essential oil
- 1 drop galbanum (Ferula galbani ua) essential oil
- Blend the lotion and the carrier oils.
- Add the essential oils and mix well.
- Apply to lesions three times a day.
Caution: Do not use if pregnant.
Natural Psoriasis Relief Cream
The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils suggests:
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) vitamin E cream
- 4 drops bay laurel (Laurus nobilis) essential oil
- 5 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 5 drops geranium essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
Blend the essential oils into the vitamin E cream. Apply to your skin as needed.
Psoriasis Stress Relief Diffuser Blend
To relieve stress that can worsen psoriasis, Massage & Aromatherapy: Simple Techniques to Use at Home suggest diffusing the following blend in an aromatherapy diffuser:
- 2 drops rose essential oil
- 2 drops German chamomile essential oil
- 1 drop clary sage essential oil
Buy Essential Oils
I recommend Young Living essential oils.
Photo Credit: The Wednesday Island via Wikimedia Commons [GFDL]
Essential Oils For Skin
Essential Oils For Psoriasis