How To Use Chakra Essential Oils To Balance Your Energy
If you want to balance your energy centers using chakra essential oils, here are some suggestions for each of the seven major chakras.
To use an essential oil for chakra balance, you can make a massage oil and massage the area around the chakra. You could also diffuse an essential oil while doing a chakra meditation.
Muladhara – First Chakra Essential Oils
Your root (first) chakra, located at the base of your tailbone, connects you to the earth. To balance muladhara, choose essential oils from a plant with earthy and red colors, such as:
- Myrrh encourages courage, peace, sympathy, and acceptance.
- Patchouli is commonly used to provide general support for health and to help release negative emotions.
- Vetiver is psychologically grounding, calming, and stabilizing.
- Geranium may help relieve PMS and menopausal symptoms.
Swadhisthana – Second Chakra Aromatherapy
Your sacral (second) chakra is associated with fluidity, creation, sexuality, and emotions. To balance swadhisthana, choose essential oils that calm the emotions and ease fear of change. Second chakra essential oils include:
- Clary sage has a mellow scent that both uplifts and relaxes. It's a good choice to help improve your attitude during PMS.
- Fennel's earthy fragrance promotes energy, vitality, and balance.
- Sandalwood has a warm, woody aroma that is uplifting and relaxing.
- Jasmine and neroli may act as aphrodisiacs.
Manipura – Third Chakra Essential Oils
Your solar plexus (third) chakra is a fiery energy center. Recommended solar plexus chakra essential oils include:
- Cedarwood and coriander relax and soothe.
- Black pepper encourages fearlessness, strength, and stamina.
- Hyssop decumbens has purifying properties that promote awakening, clarity, balance, and harmony.
- Lemon may help relieve anxiety and fatigue.
- Marjoram encourages calm, balance, and sincerity.
- Roman chamomile is calming.
Anahata – Fourth Chakra Aromatherapy
Your heart (fourth) chakra is a powerful transmitter for love,
compassion, and maintaining authentic relationship. Essential oils
recommended to balance the heart chakra include:
Heart Chakra Essential Oil Blend
- Bergamot is good for building confidence and enhancing your mood.
- Lavender is an adaptogen that can assist the body when adapting to stress or imbalances.
- Melissa has a light, fresh scent that strengthens and revitalizes, while also calming and soothing.
- Ylang ylang is calming and relaxing and may help release tension, anger, and nervous irritability.
- Rose is good for balance and harmony.
This aromatherapy blend opens the heart chakra, reminding you of the valuable gift of sharing and giving:
- 1 drop rose essential oil
- 2 drops ginger essential oil
- 4 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 3 drops frankincense essential oil
- 2 teaspoons carrier oil
Use the essential oil blend in one of these ways:
- Massage your heart chakra, solar plexus, shoulders, and neck.
- Place a few drops on your palms and inhale deeply.
- Pour 10 to 20 drops of the blend into a warm bath and soak for 15 minutes or longer.
- Wear it as a perfume.
Vissudha – Fifth Chakra Essential Oils
If your throat (fifth) chakra is overactive, you may talk too much and monopolize a conversation. If the chakra is underactive, you may not say what you have to say. Suggested aromatherapy for the fifth chakra include:
- Basil's spicy aroma encourages concentration, assertiveness, straightforwardness, and clarity.
- Cypress is refreshing and encourages stability, confidence, wisdom, patience, and trust.
- Peppermint can also improve concentration and mental sharpness.
- Roman chamomile encourages serenity, understanding, and cooperation.
- Rosewood is comforting and soothing, has a steadying and balancing effect on emotions, and may help to uplift feelings of despair.
Ajna – Sixth Chakra Aromatherapy
Your third-eye (sixth) chakra is associated with intuition. Recommended essential oils the the third eye chakra:
- Frankincense essential oil promotes deep relaxation and awareness of breath and can help you access dream states and deep meditative states.
- Basil essential oil helps you think more clearly and decreases stress and nervousness.
- Rosemary is an energizing oil that may help restore mental alertness.
- Juniper has a cleansing effect on the mind, spirit, and body, and may work as a detoxifier and cleanser.
- Lemon helps revitalize and uplift.
Sahasrana – Seventh Chakra Aromatherapy
Your crown (seventh) chakra is your energetic gateway to bliss and oneness with the universe. Suggested aromatherapy for the crown chakra:
- Frankincense stimulates and elevates the mind, and is useful for visualizing, centering, and improving your spiritual connection.
- Neroli encourages lightness, calmness, and peace.
- Rose essential oil helps bring balance and harmony with stimulating and uplifting properties that create a sense of well-being.
Image Credit: Gil Dekel via Wikimedia Commons [CC-BY-SA-3.0]