11 Tips For Insomnia Relief
Chronic insomnia can have many adverse effects, both physically and mentally. If you are having trouble sleeping , here are 11 tips for insomnia relief:
- Avoid working in bed. Working signals your brain to become active, interfering with your ability to go sleep.
- Avoid watching TV or being at your computer before going to bed because these things can stimulate your nervous system and keep you awake. If you must use your computer at night, download a program, such as f.lux, that that removes the simulating blue light from the computer screen. Alternatives to TV or a computer include listening to relaxing music while breathing deeply for 10 to 20 minutes or using self-hypnosis.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine in the evening because they stimulate
your nervous system and can keep you awake. Some foods (especially those
containing sugar) might also interfere with sleep. To determine if food
is affecting your sleep, keep a food diary that also notes how you
slept each night. Some foods, such as herbal teas and warm milk, may
help you sleep.
- Put together a comfortable bed. Use a mattress, pillows, knee separators, leg wedges, and other sleep products that give you the support you need.
- Exercise every day to help relieve excess stress that can keep you awake.
- Stretch gently
before bed to help release tension. For a simple routine, lie on the
floor or bed with your feet on the surface and your knees pointing up
and do the following movements:
1. Lower your knees from side to side.
2. Tilt your pelvis forward and back several times.
3. Slowly turn your
head from side to side.
4. Notice where you feel tense, and stretch that
area gently and slowly.
- Keep the room at a comfortable temperature.
- Learn and practice ways to reduce stress and release excess tension.
- Get regular massage to help release the tension and stress. Many people sleep better after a massage.
relaxing essential oils, such as lavender or valerian. Put a drop or
two on a tissue and place next to your pillow. Or use
an aromatherapy diffuser to diffuse the oils for 30 minutes before going to bed. Or do a little self massage with an aromatherapy blend for insomnia relief.
- Take a warm bath before bed. Add Epsom salts or relaxing essential oils to help you relax more.
Image Credit: By Mikael Häggström [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons