DIY Aromatherapy Bath Products For Natural Body Care
Making your own aromatherapy bath products is a great way to get quality products without any ingredients you may not want. Get started with the following recipes.
Aromatherapy Shower Gel
Here's a simple shower gel:
- 1/2 cup unscented liquid soap
- 1 teaspoon almond oil
- 4 to 5 drops essential oil of your choice
- Stir all the ingredients together until well mixed.
- Pour the shower gel into a clean plastic bottle with a push/pull cap.
Use in the shower. Or for a bubble bath, pour a little of the mixture under running water while drawing the bath.
Source: EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bombs
For a centering shower gel, try this blend from Aromahead:
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons) aloe vera gel
- 5 drops vetiver essential oil
- 6 drops patchouli essential oil
- 10 drops mandarin essential oil
Aromatherapy Bath Oil Recipe
To make an aromatherapy bath oil, add 25 drops of essential oil(s) to 2 tablespoons carrier oil. Use 1 teaspoon in your bath.
You can get imaginative with your essential oil choices (be cautious with hot, spicy oils) or try one of the following blends suggested in Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art:
- Relaxing: lavender, marjoram, neroli, and Roman chamomile
- Stimulating: grapefruit, peppermint, and rosemary
- Balancing: geranium, lavender, and orange
- Aphrodisiac: jasmine, sandalwood, and ylang ylang
Sleep-Promoting Aromatherapy Bath Product
If you need a little help sleeping, try this bath blend before bedtime:
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup almond oil
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 drops rose essential oil
- 2 drops jasmine
- 1 drop neroli
- 1 drop patchouli
- 1 drop ylang ylang
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour into a small, dark glass bottle.
- Shake before each use, and add up to 2 tablespoons to a bath.
Source: Massage & Aromatherapy: Simple Techniques to Use at Home
Milk and Honey Aromatherapy Bath
A bath of milk and honey:
- 1 teaspoon castile soap
- 1/2 cup sweet almond oil or sunflower oil
- 5-1/2 teaspoons vodka
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 egg
- 10 to 25 drops mandarin or geranium essential oil
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend.
- Pour mixture into a glass container.
- Store in refrigerator. Makes enough for 8 baths.
Adapted from Aromatherapy Massage by Clare Maxwell-Hudson
Also see bath salt and bomb recipes and bath aromatherapy blends.
I recommend Young Living essential oils.
Photo Credit: Subbotina/123RF Stock Photo
Essential Oil Recipes
Aromatherapy Bath Products