How To Use Essential Oils for Oily Skin Care
Using essential oils for oily skin care can help reduce excess oil production by the sebaceous glands. The following essential oils may help:
- Tea tree
- Ylang ylang
- All the citrus oils (lemon, orange, bergamot, etc.), but remember these oils make skin more sensitive to the sun's UV radiation.
Some people have oily skin caused by overactive sweat glands. Sage or lemongrass essential oil may help.
Oily Skin Cleanser
Avoid using harsh cleansers (including soaps) to scrub away the oil. Your body's natural response to an irritating, harsh cleanser is to make more oil. It's usually best to clean your face gently twice a day, in the morning and before bedtime.
Try this essential oil cleanser for oily skin (1):
- 1/4 cup aromatherapy hydrosol or witch hazel
- 1 teaspoon herb-infused vinegar
- 1 teaspoon glycerin
- 1 teaspoon echinacea tincture (for acne)
- 5 drops eucalyptus or cypress essential oil
Combine all ingredients in a small glass container with a cap.
To use: Shake container. Use your fingers or cotton pads to rub a little of the cleanser onto your face. Rinse.
Essential Oil Toners For Oily Skin
To tone oily skin without adding oil, good choices are aloe vera gel, aromatherapy hydrosols, and witch hazel.
Aromatherapy Night Skin Toner
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) distilled water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 drops tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) essential oil
- 2 drops bergamot essential oil
- 2 drops juniper essential oil
- dark, glass spray bottle
- Pour the water into the spray bottle, and then add vinegar and witch hazel.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey and essential oils until evenly dispersed.
- Add the honey mixture to the water mixture.
- Cap securely and shake until thoroughly mixed.
To use: After cleansing your face, mist it with the toner (keeping eyes closed). Or, moisten a cotton ball with the mixture and wipe gently over your face and neck.
Lemon-Lavender Essential Oil Toner (1)
- 1/2 cup witch hazel
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs or 1/4 cup crumbled dried herbs
- 2 tablespoons rosewater or aloe vera juice
- 5 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops lavender essential oil
- Soak the herbs in the witch hazel for 10 days.
- Strain the herbs into a bottle.
- Add the rosewater or aloe juce and the essential oils.
- Shake well before each use.
Moisturizers Using Essential Oils For Oily Skin
Moisturizing is important to hydrate the skin. Look for lightweight, non-oily moisturizers.
Essential Oil Moisturizer (2)
- 7 drops ylang ylang essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) aloe vera gel
Skin Oil (4)
- 2 teaspoons jojoba oil
- 2 drops petitgrain essential oil
- 1 drop clary sage essential oil
Facial Masks Using Essential Oils for Oily Skin
Facial masks can pull excess oil out of the pores and leave skin looking fresh. Clay facial masks are especially good for drawing out some of the excess oil.
Clay Essential Oil Facial Mask For Oily Skin (2)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons green clay
- 1/2 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 3 drops tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- aromatherapy hydrosol or distilled water
- Blend together first three ingredients.
- Add enough water or hydrosol to make a creamy paste.
- Apply to face.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water.
Yogurt Facial Mask (3)
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 drop geranium essential oil
- 1 drop ylang ylang essential oil
- 2 teaspoons live, natural, plain yogurt
- Blend the ingredients.
- Rub the mask evenly onto your face.
- Leave the mask on until it no longer feels cool, and then wash it off.
- Apply a moisturizer.
Sour Cream Facial Mask for Oily Skin
- 1 egg white
- 1 drop grapefruit essential oil
- 1 teaspoon sour cream
- Beat egg white until fluffy.
- Blend in sour cream and grapefruit essential oil.
- Apply to face, and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Buy essential oils for oily skin.
(1) Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
(2) Healing With Aromatherapy
(3) Aromatherapy for Common Ailments
(4) The Essential Guide to Natural Skin Care
Photo Credit: 123RF Stock Photo
Aromatherapy Skin Care Recipes