How To Use Essential Oils for Dandruff Treatment
The best essential oils for dandruff depend on the underlying cause of your dandruff:
- If the cause of your dandruff is fungus, tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) is probably your best choice. You can also try rosemary.
- If your scalp is oily with dandruff, cedarwood, juniper, or patchouli may help.
- If you have a dry, flaky scalp, try Roman chamomile, myrrh, or sandalwood.
Also see these articles:
How to Use Aromatherapy for Dandruff
An easy way to use aromatherapy for dandruff is to add a few drops of the chosen essential oil to your shampoo (preferably unscented, nondetergent shampoo). Adding 8 to 12 drops to an 8-ounce bottle is a good place to start, though you can try using more, if you don't find it too strong.
For a good anti-dandruff, conditioning blend, add 8 drops lavender and 4 drops tea tree to your 8-ounce bottle of shampoo.
Aromatherapy Hair Recipes For Dandruff
Here are before- and after-shampoo hair treatments for dandruff:
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 2 drops lavender
- 1 drop rosemary
- 2 drops peppermint
- 10 drops carrier oil (jojoba is particularly good for hair)
- Blend the oils.
- Thoroughly massage one teaspoon into your scalp for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Shampoo as usual, adding 2 to 4 drops of a chosen essential oil to one teaspoon shampoo.
Post-Shampoo Dandruff Hair Rinse
- 4 drops rosemary
- 4 drops lavender
- 2 drops tea tree
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
Mix ingredients and shake well. Use it to rinse your hair after shampooing.
Note: The vinegar smell quickly goes away.
Also, according to the EPA, witch hazel helps fight dandruff. Add a few drops of essential oil to half a cup of witch hazel and use it as a rinse.
Essential Oils Desk Reference
Aromatherapy for Dummies
Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Buy essential oils for dandruff.
Photo Credit: 123RF Stock Photo
Essential Oil Recipes